Monaco Yacht Show 2020 cancelled due to Covid-19

Mike Stones
By Mike Stones July 2, 2020 14:20

Monaco Yacht Show 2020 cancelled due to Covid-19

This year’s Monaco Yacht Show has been cancelled due to the Covid-19 global pandemic. The next show – the 30th – is scheduled to take place in September 2021.

The show organiser, Informa Markets, said in a statement: “Over recent weeks, we have been in constant discussions with stakeholders and partners within the international superyacht Industry to better understand the challenges facing yacht owners, shipyards, brokers and other key participants in the face of the disruption due to Covid-19.

“At the same time we have been working closely with all partners involved with the Monaco Yacht Show, and particularly the Principality of Monaco, to determine if a low-density, not-for-profit, support event in Monaco this year would have been both practical and beneficial to the market.”

An agreement was reached between the local authorities and the organisers on an effective format and structure for the 2020 Monaco Yacht Show, incorporating the All Secure Standard for hygiene and biosafety, according to the organisers. “However, ongoing apprehension from some exhibitors and attendees, combined with the fact that much of the superyacht fleet is currently still located in the US and Caribbean, has led to the conclusion that it is in the industry’s best interests to postpone until September 2021 …”, the organisers concluded.

Charlie McCurdy, chief executive, Informa Markets, said: “Like many other industries, the international superyachting community has experienced significant disruption in 2020. As we move to the other side of Covid-19, we are remaining agile in how we are supporting our partners and customers, flexing our events calendar, adapting products and providing digital alternatives where beneficial to best meet the needs of international communities through this difficult period.

McCurdy added: “To this end, we are focusing our efforts in the latter part of the year on delivering a strong platform to showcase the industry at the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show in late October, with the Monaco Yacht Show now set to return in style in September 2021, when it will celebrate its 30th  anniversary.

The next Monaco Yacht Show will take place from September 22nd to 25th, 2021 at the Port Hercule of Monaco.

Meanwhile, last year’s event attracted its biggest ever luxury yacht fleet, welcoming 125 superyachts, of which 44 were making their debut. The combined value of the luxury yachts on display was estimated at about €3.9bn (£3.45bn), according to Johan Pizzardini, the event’s communications and media manager. The average asking price was €37.8m (£33.48m). Read more about the four key trends at last year’s event here.

The luxury yachts on display at last year’s Monaco Yacht Show achieved a combined estimated value of  €3.9bn (£3.45bn).

Mike Stones
By Mike Stones July 2, 2020 14:20

Superyacht Insight

Sign up for Superyacht Investor Email Insight

* indicates required